Saturday, September 12, 2009

Close to Home


I didn't have many expectations before the start of my time here in Rome. I think it's fair to say that my mind was most focused on and concerned with the fact that I would be leaving many things: friends, family, familiar lifestyle, my Archdiocese, my home! I mentioned in a previous post about a homily given within the first week of my arrival by one of my formators, who spoke about the surrendering of the life left behind in order that Christ may sanctify it.

Well, I've had a similar moment of grace bestowed upon me within these past couple of months here in Rome. I know that one of the major opportunities available here in Rome is the chance to understand, more fully, the universal Church. The chance to be at the heart of the Catholic Church, a stone's throw away from the rock of our Church, Peter, is definitely an opportunity that will form me in such a way that I will be able to share that with my home, the Archdiocese of Milwaukee--certainly not without the grace of God.

What I have noticed is, since my arrival at the North American College in Rome, I have felt a stronger connection with the universal Church. More significant, however, is the fact that I feel a much deeper connection to the Church in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. As good or bad as it sounds, living in Italy amidst the Catholic communities here causes me to appreciate the faithful back home. Since being removed from the Archdiocese, I have come to love and appreciate it more than ever. Living in a diverse seminary community, which itself is secluded from the rest of the city of Rome, causes me to appreciate where I came from, where I grew up, where I was raised in the faith. We have much to be proud of in our Archdiocese. We are blessed with faithful parishioners, holy priests and religious, and good bishops who shepherd us as Christ did.

Yes, there is much to be proud of. I am honored to live in Rome, in a community of seminarians from dioceses across the nation, and represent the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. I can humbly and gratefully boast in the graces that God has bestowed upon the faithful in southeastern Wisconsin. It is said, 'you don't know what you got, til it's gone.' I think that rings true here in Rome where, although I am blessed to be studying at the heart of the Catholic Church, I am also filled with hope and joy knowing that I will return, God willing, a servant priest of Jesus Christ for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, where my heart remains.